March 29, 2016 Long Lake (Hamilton Co.) - Newcomb - Minerva (Essex Co.) -
Warrensburg (Warren Co.)

Yesterday, we woke to several inches of new snow in Long Lake.  It was 27
degrees and extremely windy.  Every time we set a new record in seed
consumption at our feeders, I think it can't ever be topped, but yesterday
is the new record (3/29/16).  There was a layer of ice on everything and
then several inches of new snow, and the conditions brought hundreds and
hundreds of Pine Siskins to our feeders.  The birds acted like they were
starving and didn't even want to get off the feeders for me to refill them.
I had to put seed all over our porches since there were terrible battles
over feeder perches.  Bill Labes experienced the same activity at his Long
Lake feeders.

It was not a birding day, but it ended up being quite exciting anyway!
Midday, I stopped at Sabattis Bog (on a long route to Warrensburg) and put
out food for the Gray Jays.  I was in hurry and didn't look around.  I
suddenly heard White-winged Crossbills, which must have been perched right
over my car!  Two birds circled around the bog calling and then flew toward
Bog Stream.  One Gray Jay showed up at the bog and I found 3 Gray Jays at
the Round Lake Trailhead.  On my drive out, a bird flushed from the road.  I
stopped and was quite surprised to find a calling Hermit Thrush!  I took a
number of photos (I posted 2 to my Facebook page).  Hermit Thrushes usually
show up in mid-April - this is a bird I wasn't even thinking about in late
March!

Pine Siskins were everywhere with several dark clouds of them along my drive
through Long Lake - Newcomb - Minerva

I found a large flock of Evening Grosbeaks by a house with feeders just
outside of Newcomb.

I stopped to view a large Pine Siskin flock gritting in Route 28N in
Minerva, and spotted 2 female Red Crossbills among them.

In Warrensburg, I observed 5 Cedar Waxwings eating crab apples along Route 9
in town.

Joan Collins

President, NYS Ornithological Association

Editor, New York Birders

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell

(518) 624-5528 home