A short outing of ~ 2 hours this afternoon, first to Quogue and then to
East Quogue, produced a batting average of 666 - not bad for an "old-timer"
!

After missing on the Hooded Warbler re-found yesterday by Mike Higgiston at
the Quogue Wildlife Refuge, I did see the active Great-horned Owl nest, in
the Fairy Dell section of the refuge. Unfortunately, this area is not open
to the public at this time, due to the unsafe condition of it's boardwalks.
The nest (an old Osprey platform) and it's inhabitants (an adult, plus 2
downy young) can be seen from outside the locked cyclone fencing on it's
east and west sides. For those of you not aware of Fairy Dell's origin, it
was funded by the N.Y.S. "Return a Gift to Wildlife", which allowed
individuals to contribute a monetary gift for Fish and Wildlife Management,
using an income tax form check-off procedure. The Fairy Dell grant provided
a pathway into a habitat, which enabled people, especially those using
wheelchairs or other devices, to explore the innards of a salt marsh.

I then tried (for the 2nd time this week) for the adult, male Blue Grosbeak
found at the beginning of the week by Mike Higgiston in East Quogue, and
was successful.

Cheers,
Bob