After speaking with Ed Brecher at Jones Beach recently, I knew where I
would be  by 0800, come Thursday morning - and I wasn't disappointed !  The
scene resembled  the start of a field trip at the Annual Meeting of the New
York State Ornithology Association, with the horde assembling, greeting
friends and strangers alike, "smooshing" and exchanging recent birding
experiences, before starting to move out ! The birding was "fair", but the
human contact was fabulous !  A pair of Wood Ducks, a few Blue-gray
Gnatcatchers, a Blue-headed Vireo, a couple of Chimney Swifts, a
Great-horned Owl, 3 young Raccoon's in a tree hole (2 in the back, and 1
with it's head and paws sticking out of the hole) were just some of the
treats !  A couple of the conversations that come to mind was a) hearing of
Joe Guinta's recent trip to Texas (he returned just last night, while his
luggage returned late this morning) and b)  as I was photographing a pair
of Fish Crows sitting close together on a branch high up in a tree, I
turned to Rick Kopitsch and said "I am calling this shot a couple of
courting crows". He, in turn, improved on that title by softly stating "how
about making it a couple of courting corvids" ! While our moving mass was
on it's last leg, Ed Brecher got a call stating yesterday's Hooded Warbler
was just re-found and was currently vocalizing. With that, the walking pace
increased, and the exodus was under way.

Never having been to Valley Stream State Park, I proceeded to get lost
en-route, which cost me a satisfying look at the male Hooded Warbler, only
getting an abbreviated look, till much later in the AM (1130-1200) when I
got a "full frontal" . During this time we also had a gorgeous male
Baltimore Oriole.

Cheers,
Bob