This topic is confused and confusing, with no clear consensus of terminology.
The Birding article was good, but I do not completely agree with its
conclusions. One problem is that we're dealing with two completely different
problems here: the description of what a bird looks like, and the genetic and
physiological mechanisms that might be producing that appearance.

Leucism does have a technical definition involving the development and
migration of melanocytes during embryonic development. Who cares about that? It
results in a bird with scattered pure white feathers That appearance can also
be achieved by an older bird experiencing the death of melanocytes in places
(just like the hairs in my beard).

Again, who cares? The birds look piebald, and might be described as "pied,"
meaning patched dark and white. The beautiful Hermit Thrush that started the
conversation, however, is a nice example of "diluted" coloration. Again, the
physiological mechanisms that can result in this physical example or
"phenotyte" are varied.

If you're describing such a bird for other birders, do you want to indicate
what it looks like, or pretend that you have some knowledge about the
physiology of the origin of its appearance? If the latter, I'd suggest you
settle down and wait for a lot more research to be conducted. If the former, I
would recommend using terms like "pied," "dilute plumage," and
"pigment-challenged."

Best,

Kevin

Kevin J. McGowan,