Hi Jim,

This is really interesting. I believe what is going on here is the
following: favorable southerly winds ahead of the front (i.e. ahead of the
rain) and light winds just after fontal passage caused birds to take off in
large numbers...but unfavorable northwesterly winds are following the
front. If you watch a loop of the radar you can see that birds take off at
high densities across Long Island and much of Connecticut, but start to
disappear from higher altitudes (i.e. from CT - further from the radar)
after the precipitation passes, and they become more concentrated on LI (at
lower altitudes), such that by midnight there are only high densities over
LI. Barring any radar beam weirdness, it would seem that, as of midnight,
there are a lot of birds concentrated at low altitudes over central Long
Island, and they don't appear to be crossing the sound (in the face of
northerly winds). Except perhaps at low altitudes, which we wouldn't be
able to see easily. Might be interesting to check out west-central LI
tomorrow...

Benjamin