I spent most of the morning at the Big John's Pond blind at Jamaica Bay. The
diversity and number of migrants are greatly reduced from last week, with
Blackpolls being the only definite passage warblers observed. Both cuckoos
(Black-billed seen quite well!) and both night-herons in adult plumage were
welcome additions to the day total. Many local species are raising young, and
the stars of the today's show were the nesting Barn Owls. They were far more
active and visible than they've been on my previous visits to the refuge, and
there's at least one fuzzy owlet in the box. A quick jaunt over to the West
Pond turned up Clapper Rail, Peregrine, and more water birds. Check the
checklist for photos.

Cheers!
-Tim H