I've just been observing five Common Ravens on a building on 39th St. between
3rd and 4th Avenues in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. Fish Crows on the offensive
alerted me to their presence and I hustled down from the home office on 6th Ave
to confirm what were obviously much larger corvids from 2.5 long avenues away.
Spent several minutes observing of trio of youngsters on 10th story building
edge. Short coasting flights, lots of hopping around, too.

39th is a truck route, so it's loud, but I did hear some modest vocalizations
from these fledglings. Two chimneys and two side-by-side water towers make the
roof top of this old industrial pile and its shorter neighbor a virtual avian
jungle jim. Parents flew in, presumably after foraging (one at least had
something in bill), and out again.

At one point a Kestrel circled over, vocalizing its displeasure at the
situation.

I have a mess of photos to sort though, and should get some up on my blog
Backyard and Beyond by tomorrow morning.

Keep your eyes, and ears, on the sky,

Matthew
https://matthewwills.com

I've just been observing five Common Ravens on a building
on 39th St. between 3rd and 4th Avenues in
Sunset Park, Brooklyn. Crows alerted me to their presence and I hustled down
from the home office on 6th Ave to confirm what were obviously much
larger corvids from two long blocks away. Good observation of trio of
youngsters on 10th story building edge. Short coasting flights, lots
of hopping around, too.  39th
is a truck route, so it's loud, but I did hear some timid vocalizations. Two
chimneys and two side-by-side water towers make the roof top of this  old
industrial bldg. (which is for sale) a
virtual avian jungle jim. Parents flew in, presumably after foraging (one at
least had something in bill), and out again.

I'll have photos on my blog Backyard and Beyond tomorrow

https://matthewwills.com