Tonight, June 8, 2016 - 7:00 PM at the Cold Spring Harbor Library and
Environmental Center

Aye-Ayes, Fossas and Fanalokas, Oh My! The Unique Wildlife of Madagascar with
James Herrera
As a follow up to James’ 2014 program about community conservation in
Madagascar, tonight we will be learning more about the wildlife of Madagascar!
For example, did you know that the aye-aye, a bizarre looking creature (lemur
actually!) with a long, twig like middle finger, is considered bad luck to the
local people? Most people think of lemurs when they think of Madagascar
(tonight we will learn just how many species of lemurs there really are!), but
have you ever heard of a fossa? What about a tenrec, fanaloka or flying fox?
The island of Madagascar is home to a diverse array of life, more than 90% of
which is endemic - only found on Madagascar. The myriad ecosystems and long
isolation of the island make it an unparalleled living laboratory to study
ecology and evolution. The multitude of co-existing species interact to form
complex ecosystems; for example, many tree species depend on the endemic
primates- lemurs - to disperse their seeds, and the endemic carnivores - such
as the fossa - depend on lemurs as their main food source. These links in the
trophic chain are critical to proper ecosystem functioning, and high
biodiversity makes ecosystems more resilient to disturbances, such as future
climate change and habitat loss. James will discuss some of the species of
wildlife that call Madagascar home and how they are connected to each other in
this amazing petri dish of biodiversity.
James Herrera is a postdoctoral research fellow and Gerstner Scholar at the
American Museum of Natural History studying primate diversity and evolution. He
received his Ph.D. in Anthropology from Stony Brook University, NY (2015) after
conducting field research in Madagascar to study the evolutionary and
ecological dynamics of lemurs, the endemic primates. He received his Bachelor's
degree from the University of Miami, FL (2009) in Anthropology. Originally from
Long Island, James has also enjoyed exploring the biodiversity of New York and
plans to tie his research interests in Madagascar with local conservation
issues in New York.
Please visit our website for more information about the organization and to
check out our upcoming programs, field trips and volunteer events.

 Best Regards,
Stella MillerPresidentHuntington-Oyster Bay Audubon

"Conservation is sometimes perceived as stopping everything cold, as holding
whooping cranes in higher esteem than people. It is up to science to spread the
understanding that the choice is not between wild places or people, it is
between a rich or an impoverished existence for Man." Thomas Lovejoy