As of this morning, an Acadian Flycatcher continues at Jamaica Bay Wildlife
Refuge. It was actively calling before taking a bath at Big John's pond this
AM. A word of caution to seekers, please exercise diligence in eliminating the
more usual Willow Flycatcher.

On the East Pond water level management: NPS, has made a concerted effort to
get a head start with the draining of the East Pond. It started with draining
in the spring which allowed us to identify a drainage problem, that was
subsequently addressed. However, recently I noticed another issue with the
drainage outflow which was slower than usual. To the naked eye it appears to be
the build up of muck/sand at the outflow and just needs clearing to allow a
strong flow.  NPS was informed and they are working on getting that taken care
of so we should see the outflow picking up shortly. In any event, it is my
opinion that we are right on track to getting the water level where it needs to
be.

Lastly, I am working on finalizing an updated East Pond map, which will include
some of the changes we saw from Hurricane Sandy. That map will be made
available online, at the same link I have provided in the past.

Cheers,

--------
"I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of
others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence." ~ Frederick
Douglass

風 Swift as the wind
林 Quiet as the forest
火 Conquer like the fire