All,

I have an evening walk that I try to do every day and one of the joys of
this walk
is the presence of thrushes and their songs. For many years, HERMIT THRUSHES
were by far the more common thrush. The trail goes through a ravine with
hemlock
in the ravine and mainly a northern red oak, beech, and sugar maple forest
outside the
ravine. About a 1/2 mile up the hill you run into a fairly mature oak
forest, again mainly northern red oak, with some white oak, many sugar and
red maples, beech, some cherry and a few white pine. There is plenty of
undergrowth.  Conifers are scarce in this upland wood. The upland wood is
on one side of the trail and an abandoned Christmas tree plantation is on
the other side with balsam and fraser firs, silver fir, and white spruce,
all between about 30 and 40 feet tall.

Earlier this June I was surprised and happy to hear so many WOOD THRUSH
along this walk with as many as 5 singing males from the ravine to the
upland woods and 1 even in the abandoned Christmas tree plantation. The
HERMIT THRUSHES were scarce with only 1 singing male found in the ravine at
the beginning and none in the uplands which was unlike other years.

However, last night I walked this same trail and HERMIT THRUSHES  were
found in the upland trail with 2 counter singing males (very beautiful I
may add) and NO WOOD THRUSHES singing!!!! I could barely make out the call
of 1 wood thrush farther down in the Christmas tree plantation. But wood
thrushes were not in song at all.

The lesson here is that if censusing singing males you have to be careful.
One would assume the wood thrush was very common on the trail a week ago
with very few hermits and but if you went last evening you would say wood
thrush are scarce and hermits are more common! They seem to be sharing
similar habitat along this trail but maybe are at different life cycles
related to nesting, second broods etc??

Anyway thought I would share this and see if others have noticed this with
thrushes especially. I find it interesting on the habitat selection of the
thrushes, especially hermit and wood which share our woods in the southern
tier. Veeries are present in Broome Co as expected  but not in these drier
upland habitats on this trail.

Cheers,
Dave Nicosia