Due to the time restraint of just a few hours to bird starting from the
Riverhead area, when Dave Larsen (a long-time, local birding friend who now
lives in Virginia, picked me up, Epcal seemed the best choice for avian
action !

Stopping first at the "radar station" opposite the Calverton Grasslands
(aka Epcal) we were greeted by a Red-tailed Hawk, 9 W.Turkeys, 2
E.Kingbirds, and 2 singing Grasshopper Sparrows. Crossing the street
(Rt.25), 2 more Grasshoppers sang for us. Dave then heard an E.Bluebird
vocalize, but we unable to locate it. While still in this section of the
grasslands, we had at least 2, and possibly up to 6 E.Meadowlarks, a
hunting Kestrel, and singles of both Chipping and Savannah Sparrows.
Heading toward the s/s of the property, at Mackay's Pond, we had 1-2
Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, and a Yellow Warbler.

Unfortunately, our last quest went unfulfilled...as we missed on the Blue
Grosbeaks that have been seen recently.

Cheers,
Bob