I led a trip for NYC Audubon today to Croton Point Park.  It started out
moderate temps and overcast before becoming hot and sunny. Bird activity was
low but we saw a nice diversity nonetheless, including a few target species.
In addition to large flocks of Canada Geese, Brown-headed Cowbirds, and other
common species (many with fledged young), we spotted:
a family of Red-tailed Hawks (two adults and two immatures)an Ospreyfour
Bobolink (all in their warm yellowish-buff immature or non-breeding plumage)an
Eastern Meadowlark (right on top of the former landfill)singing Yellow
Warblermany American Goldfinches, including a female gathering tent caterpillar
silk, presumably for a late nest
A nice outing!  Only wish we'd seen a Grasshopper Sparrow or some owls, then it
would've been a home run...
Good Summer birding,
Gabriel WillowNYC AudubonWave Hilletc.