All who wish to support fact-based journalism over the coming weeks,
months, and years may want to take out a paid subscription to your
newspaper or magazine of choice - real support to actual news-
gathering and working-reporter organizations: they will need that
support now more than ever; well-informed citizens make good citizens,
and help build and maintain stronger democracies.

----------
Extralimital to NY, but not by all that much, is a kingbird found in
Lancaster Co., PA on Wednesday 11/16, and being identified -by voice-
on Thursday 11/17 as a (potential-2nd PA state-record) Tropical
Kingbird (rather than Western as was first presumed, or Couch's as
similar in some visual aspects) - a reminder that, and as known in
NYS, up to 5 species of Kingbird are potential strays to the area, in
addition to our regular breeding species: Eastern) - in future, it is
even remotely possible there could be some further kingbird species as
a migrant-stray. (To get a bit more particular, while hardly
"expected" even casually, the loggerhead kingbird has been recorded as
far north as the state of Maryland, if just once.  The most-common
'non-Eastern' "vagrant" Kingbird in the northeast (& east) has been
and still is: Western. It might be argued that this is not a true
"vagrant" in some of the east such as in the southeast.)
-
Updates for any NY birders interested in this bird may find them at:
http://digest.sialia.com/?rm=one_list;id=127
and also at: http://digest.sialia.com/?rm=one_list;id=156
----------
Sunday-Thursday, 13 thru 17 November, 2016 -
Central Park, Manhattan, N.Y. City

Thursday (11/17), some movement seemed apparent, with a change-over in
some sorts of migrant & winter-visitor species;  a few later-moving
(for Central, where they rarely linger for weeks, at this time of the
year) Myrtle Warblers (not noted otherwise in any recent days here)
going past & stopping off in the north end (at the Great HiII & by the
Meer, in earIy hours); & a further uptick in "Red" Fox Sparrows, and
some of the other migrant sparrows having thinned, or moved-on; it
seemed some of the reservoir-birds of the other (rainy) day may have
moved on, even if species-mix was about the same;  at the eastern edge
of the Ramble, an Ovenbird was in view, & farther east on parts of
Cedar Hill, there were both species of Kinglet, and in a few places in
the southern half of the park, additional "Red" Fox Sparrows.  Winter
Wrens were also found in a few areas, maybe just continuing birds or
fresh-moving migrants (the latter species is surprisingly uncommon-
rare in winter in Central, despite being quite cold-hardy).

----------------
On Tuesday 11/15, rainy-day duckage & such included ten American Coots
photographed in a group on the reservoir's NW edge, a minimum of 9
Hooded Mergansers (7 at reservoir, 2 at Turtle Pond), a minimum of 22
Buffleheads (16 at the reservoir, 4 at Meer, 2 at The Pool), at least
5 Wood Ducks (drake & hen at The Meer, same at The Pond, & at least 1
drake on The Lake), as well as 80+ Northern Shovelers distributed on 4
water-bodies, 200+ Ruddy Ducks on at least 2 water-bodies (nearly 90%
of them on reservoir), Gadwall numbering past 40 in all, American
Black Ducks on 5 water-bodies, usual many Mallards (& mallard-ish)
ducks, as well as the lingering Indian Runner Duck at the Meer,
present on-&-off there since much earlier in the year; Canada Geese in
modest (fewer than 60) numbers; motley (& usual) gulls of 3 most-
typical species, & a few Double-crested Cormorants in the wetter-
morning hours. There may have been other ducks much farther-out on the
reservoir.

-------------------
A Pine Warbler was on the hill (in pine trees) east of the Central
Park landmark Bethesda fountain on Sunday, 11/13; at least six species
of warbler were still present in Central Park, a few species
represented by more than single individuals; they were: the preceding
plus Palm, Ovenbird, Common Yellowthroat, Blackpoll, and Orange-
crowned. Each species was seen by multiple observers, myself included.
This is not an unprecedented variety of warbler species for the date
period in this park, especially given recent weather (we have had as
many or more species of warbler into December, in some milder autumns
here).

I made a later-Sunday foray thru the southern third of Manhattan
(specifically staying away from the 2 small parks where [not-all-just-
flash'n'dash] mob-bers have been "chatting", & continue to be; Iook to
a 100-day-run of the biggest warbler in the world, or one might even
daresay: huge!  Of course it is great when a desired bird is there to
be seen for such a stretch of days, and by so many who come view-
seeking) - and, I stopped in at several of the mid- & down- town
parks, including one on the East River, & 3 areas on the Hudson river
side of lower Manhattan, particular time spent in Battery Park proper,
as well as at the park just north of the Chelsea piers area (north of
West 23rd by the Hudson) - with a few finds that were not too
surprising, & are almost typical in this time of year, if one searches
in this area of Manhattan - Ovenbird (2), & Common Yellowthroat (3);
and with 1 "western"-form Palm Warbler in the outermost part of
Chelsea piers park - no (additional) chats turned up but there are
plenty of bits & pieces of habitat, and I certainly did not thoroughly
cover even near a tenth of all of that area in the time I was out, in
mid to late-day on Sunday. I spent a bit of extra time in any areas
where I happened on frugivores such as American Robin, etc. - & had a
brief & not-very-productive look in Madison Square & Union Square
parks, each of which have & typically do feature "late" and sometimes
unexpected migrant-visitors (as well as does Bryant Park which I did
not visit on this circuit of some bits of Manhattan).

----------------
As far back as June, 1976, this wise advice was given by writer Dave
DeSante, writing in "American Birds" in the section, "The Changing
Seasons" - this advice is even much more applicable today, in 2016 and
ongoing, with so vastly more birders and photographers, and the very
widespread availability of technology that can affect the birds in the
ways noted:

"A word about the use of tape recorders, especially during the
breeding season, is perhaps apropos.  Anyone who has watched the
intense excitement and energy expenditure of a terrestrial male bird
dashing from one tape recorder to another as a swarm of birders
attempt to lure it out for observational or photographic purposes,
cannot help but wonder how much the individual's reproductive effort
and success may be diminished by this practice. (-NB, emphasis in
original)  Much sought-after specialties, such as trogons, maybe be
particularly susceptibtle to such disturbance.  It will be a sad day
when the bird on the list becomes more important than the bird in the
wild.  We, as responsible birders, must keep the well-being of the
bird foremost in our hearts, even to the sacrifice of our own listing
pleasures. [See also Glinski, p. 655]"

-----------------
"They tried to bury us. They didn't know we were seeds."
- DeRay Mckesson, American activist & writer.
"Neither let us be slandered from our duty by false accusations
against us, nor frightened from it by menaces of destruction to the
government nor of dungeons to ourselves.   Let us have faith that
right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do
our duty as we understand it." - Abraham Lincoln, February 27, 1860 -
at the Great Hall of Cooper Union, New York City. Speech given as the
candidate-to-be of the Republican Party, soon to be the 16th president
of the United States of America.

good birding,

Tom Fiore
manhattan