I find most people reporting to eBird are pretty good about including
context (location etc) in the comments field - not least because when it's
a genuine rarity eBird mandates some kind of commentary. In fact, I'd say
once a rarity has had its initial few ebird reports, further comments tend
to revert away from repeated descriptions of plumage and start to become a
running track of where the bird is, or behaviour notes etc. Obviously the
ability to look at / manipulate other facets of the eBird Big Data-set is
totally invaluable.

The GroupMe system we use in Northern New Jersey is very good for sharing
rarity info. And tends to not suffer from reports of common birds, and is
invite only so is kind of self-policing. But as others have pointed out,
it's another app people gotta download and install on their phones....

Personally i think nobody should be dissuaded from reporting. As David B
pointed out, it's not hard to set email filters, and someone somewhere
might just get themselves a lifer that otherwise would have gone un-shared
if people hold back.

Just my 3 cents

Good birding.
Dom