This morning my drive to the supermarket in Riverhead was made more
palatable by spotting a single Turkey Vulture circling overhead...could it
have been "Lonesome George", the solitary T.V. that has been reported from
this area of eastern L.I. for the past couple of years ?

This afternoon. I headed up to Calverton for my annual (last 30 years at
least) cutting of our Christmas Tree. Near the intersection of Route 25 &
Fresh Pond Rd., I noticed a large hawk hovering, and after avoiding causing
an accident as I stopped/pulled over, I not only brought my binoculars up
to see a light-morph Rough-legged Hawk, but a Red-tailed Hawk, which
entered my binocular field, as well ! After those sightings, I knew I was
not going to have any problem picking out a tree which would make my wife
happy !

On the way home I had another Red-tail, and also made a stop at the Buffalo
Farm, at the intersection of Reeves Ave & Roanoke Ave, Riverhead...where I
had a "life sighting" for the fenced-off, feeding corral proper ! It goes
without saying that I have seen Canada Geese in every field surrounding the
corral (approximately 125' x 250') but I can't remember ever seeing a
single *Branta canadensis* inside it, no less the ~ 70 there today. While
only 1 buffalo was within the  fencing at the time, there have been
numerous prior visits when either none, or just a few of the animals were
there, but still no geese...albeit, ducks have been common occurrence..

Cheers,
Bob

Cheers,
Bob