This afternoon at ~ 4 PM, while looking at the now confirmed Rufous
Hummingbird (per Margaret B., homeowner, re: John S's confirming photo of
tail feathers) with her, she had a very quick snatch of a fleeting bird
whose "jizz" made her think "hummer". We now were on high alert, and it
didn't take very long for both birds to appear again, albeit a short, but
confirming view as to both being members of the family, *Trochildae *! We
were not able to confirm the newcomer's ID, during the approximately 10
times they came together near the feeder, or at the nearby wild flowers.
Almost all of these quick forays ended with one chasing the other away.
There was one instance however, that both birds seemed to land on the
feeder simultaneously, on opposite sides (and possibly out of sight of each
other) and remained at the feeder for at least 30 seconds. During this
time, Margaret observed that the back of the newcomer was a lighter green
than the Rufous, and I, with a straight-on dorsal view of it was not able
to see any orange on back, rump or tail. Darkness ended our stake-out, and
one can only wonder what the 'morrow will bring !

Cheers,
Bob