Inwood Hill Park, northern Manhattan (NYC)
Friday, 9 December 2016

The Empidonax [genus] Flycatcher (found Thursday 12/8 by John Keane)
was continuing to be seen today in the area described in prior posts
on this individual - at least 15 birders were there (at various times)
by about noon to try to see it - and among them, Isaac Grant, myself,
and Jose Ramirez (who first spotted!) and we 3 then watched, and HEARD
(after 9 a.m.) - giving what (to my ears) sounded like soft "seet" or
seep" calls, a number of them and given singly - I do not speak for
any other birders, and we ought hear from them, how they perceive[d]
what was heard!     In addition, I failed (-later, when the bird may
have no longer been vocal-) to capture audio in a short video-attempt
with a point-and-shoot (that is, zero audio of the Empidonax in what
is a sound-filled clip, with wind, some traffic and my unwanted
exclamation as the bird came very near to us!) - it is possible that
other observers managed some audio of the flycatcher in attempting to
do that, and if so it is hoped any sound-files might be shared, no
matter the quality?  Thanks to all who made appearances, and a
particular thanks to Joe DiCostanzo who was showing some of us, on-
scene, some good illustration-work by artists who have depicted these
Empidonax in various works (such as David Sibley in particular);

IF (and I am qualifying it as "if") my hearing of the calls of this
bird this morning are reasonably accurate, the sounds heard seem
inconsistent with those I am aware of for Yellow-bellied, and perhaps
more consistent with a "western" type (or what was once known, in the
collective, as WESTERN) but, again, some thoughts from others on-
scene, and in any audio-captures?   I can't give too much more (than
the good photos made available show) on the appearance of this bird,
other than that a few features (as observed) did not seem "just right"
for a typical Yellow-bellied; I was also wondering about the somewhat
bold (on a few occasions) behavior of this individual, coming out on
the paved path, & to the open edge of the field, a few times in the 4+
hours I spent in the area (with a total of perhaps 45-50+ minutes of
viewing - much of the time I was not aware, or the bird was not easy
to find, and I think that may be consistent with how some others
(there for a while) found the viewing of; the bird would seem to be
"lost" from us for periods, and then, more than a few times, pop up
nearly in front of us - often at eye-level or below and just a few
times much more than ~5 feet above the ground!  Of course, a hungry &
either very "late", or rather off-course migrant, could well behave in
ways unexpected in a more-typical migration appearance! (The bird seen
this day did seem to be feeding on miniscule insect &/or arthropod
prey, but how much? And it can't be good for what the weather is now
bringing in colder temperatures, and wind-chill.  I believe the
initial observation today 12/9 was at after 9 am, and that attempts to
see the bird before then were not successful; also it seems the first
sighting of this bird on Thursday 12/8 may have been not before 9, and
perhaps a good bit later.

Incidentally (and seriously), an observation was made at one point,
that the Empidonax had defecated & some went to see if they might
retrieve any of that matter, but it was too difficult just then to
determine the 'landing-zone', as this was above an area just off-path
with much natural leaf-liiter and other such detritus. It was actually
a brief moment of added excitement - yes, we birders are an odd
collection!   Thanks to everyone who has offered excellent comment and
photography, & more on this interesting sighting.

In some other sightings at Inwood, while positioned at the edges of
the soccer lawn (white goal nets at east & west ends) by the water &
western path of the field, some of us had too-brief sightings of a
warbler, which was quite yellow underneath, and which for a few
seconds went up quite high in distant tree (by the water), then down &
perhaps "lost" in a mass of brush & such, where we barely glimpsed it
again;  my 'call' on that was initially of a Nashville, but it may
have been some other species, perhaps even one showing a bit of 'wing-
bars' (I and the others were at least sure of it being a warbler, & -
most probably- an eastern-breeding species!!) - and a far more
definitive sighting were the 2 Bald Eagles that soared over, rather
briefly at mid-morning, an adult & a younger bird, both directly
overhead and then apparently gone on southwards.

Separate sighting: today, 12/9, at City Hall Park in lower Manhattan,
a Western Tanager was seen (by others) - for now the 17th day in a
row, if my date calculations are accurate!  (And we again thank Cedric
Duhalde for that tanager of his finding!!)

good birding,

Tom Fiore
Manhattan