Central Park NYC
Sunday December 25, 2016
OBS: Robert DeCandido, PhD, Deborah Allen, m.ob on bird walk starting from the
Boathouse Cafe at 10am.

Highlights - Cedar Hill to Reservoir: Red-breasted Nuthatches, Hermit Thrushes,
Fox Sparrows, & American Wigeon.

Canada Goose - 200+ Reservoir
American Black Duck - 2 Reservoir
American Wigeon - female Reservoir
Mallard - at least 150 Reservoir
Northern Shoveler - 22 Reservoir
Bufflehead - 6 Reservoir
Hooded Merganser - 6 Reservoir (before walk)
Ruddy Duck - 180+ Reservoir
Pied-billed Grebe - 2 Reservoir (before walk)
Mourning Dove - residents
American Coot - 5 Reservoir
Ring-billed, Herring, & Great Black-backed Gulls - Reservoir
Double-crested Cormorant - 1 Reservoir
Cooper's Hawk - immature at Oven
Red-tailed Hawk - several (adult & immature)
Red-bellied Woodpecker - residents
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - Pinetum (Andrea Hessel, MD)
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker - male Cherry Hill (Karen Evans)
Blue Jay - residents
Common Raven - vocalizing near Summer House
Black-capped Chickadee - 9
Tufted Titmouse - 23
Red-breasted Nuthatch - 3 (2 Pinetum, 1 Evodia Field feeders)
White-breasted Nuthatch - baker's dozen
Brown Creeper - Sparrow Rock
Hermit Thrush - 2 (Pinteum & Turtle Pond)
American Robin - not many
Northern Mockingbird - Cedar Hill (Karen Evans)
Cedar Waxwing - 2 Great Lawn
House Finch - male & female feeders
American Goldfinch - feeders
Fox Sparrow - 4 Maintenance Field
White-throated Sparrow - many
Dark-eyed Junco - 4 (3 Cedar Hill, 1 Pinetum)
Northern Cardinal - residents
Red-winged- Blackbird - adult male Cherry Hill
Common Grackle - a few

On Saturday, Dec. 24, Bob DeCandido, Carl Howard, and I paid a visit to the
Pink-footed Goose on the Van Cortlandt Park parade ground then did a bit of
after-dusk scouting for the Bronx CBC. We found three Eastern Screech-Owls (2
gray morph, 1 reddish-brown) in two locations in Van Cortlandt Park. Moving on
to Pelham Bay Park we found a pair of Great Horned Owls. As to where exactly
and how we found these owls - Who-hoo knows?

Deb Allen