Eleven species of gulls were found along the Niagara River today, from the
power plants to the control gates. The highlight was an adult SLATY-BACKED
GULL, found by Chris Kundl in the shallows off of Goat Island, just above
Three Sisters Islands. Some of us are lucky (my hand is up) but Chris works
this patch hard and deserves all the great birds that he has found there.
Way to go, Chris! The bird was well-studied and some of us managed to get
the very important spread wing photos (which helps to rule out possible
hybrids). This bird shows a very broad tertial crescent, a nice string of
pearls but no mirror on p9, and a mantle shade just slightly darker than
that of a Lesser Black-backed Gull. This gull stayed at Goat Island most of
the day, enjoyed by many birders, but was never seen to feed as far as I am
aware. It would not surprise me if it is not found during the week, when it
probably heads for the dumps to feed. After seeing it at Goat Island,
several of us returned to the Canadian side and tried to spot it across the
river, looking from the control gates and from above the Ontario hydro
building, but could only find one obscured dark-mantled gull, which could
have been the bird or a Lesser Black-backed Gull. Distance and other gulls
in the way makes identifying this bird from the other side an extreme
challenge.

The adult BLACK-HEADED GULL was seen for over half an hour this morning as
it foraged continuously at the Whirlpool. When in the sunlight, this bird
was a tough challenge to pick out, but it occasionally went into shaded
areas where we had a better chance to find it.

Jean Iron found an adult LITTLE GULL a little above Niagara Falls, nearer
the Canadian shore. Other gulls today were Iceland, Thayer's, Glaucous,
Lesser Black-backed, Great Black-backed, Bonaparte's, Ring-billed, and
Herring.

We also had the four adult male HARLEQUIN DUCKS out from the Ontario Hydro
building above the falls, probably not visible from the American side. These
birds seem to be a tight-knit group, usually staying right together, and
they looked just gorgeous in the bright sun.

Our group consisted of Betsy Potter, Jean Iron, Celeste Morien, Dominic
Sherony, Bev Seyler, Marcie Jacklin, Linda Goodridge, Kayo Roy, Blayne and
Jean Farnan, and myself.

Good birding!

Willie

Willie D'Anna