This past Sunday Margaret Brace (oh she of Rufous Hummer fame) let me know
of a T.V. roost she had just discovered in Riverhead. As she approached the
intersection of Roanoke Ave & Elton St, she couldn't help but notice the
birds in a large Spruce tree on the w/s of Roanoke. It was getting toward
dusk, but she was able to spot about 20 of them.

On Monday, at ~ 0800, not a bird was to be seen, but when I returned  at ~
1645, I found about  25 birds, most being in the tree, with some still
flying around. This morning at ~ 0700, hoping to get all the birds still at
roost, I, once again, found nary a bird...but this is when happenstance
reared its wondrous head !  While scanning for the birds in all the other
tall trees in the area, I came across a large, dark "blob" sitting on the
high antenna of the Riverhead Firehouse, located ~ 1/10 of a mile south on
Roanoke !  As I neared the firehouse my attention was drawn to the Roanoke
Ave Elementary School, which is just across the street. There, sitting on
its chimney, engulfed in the warm, rising flue products, were 9  more
T.V's.  I was able to count 4 additional birds sitting on the edges of the
roof , but could  not tell if there were any other birds on the roof, out
of sight from the road. Checking the large  spruces on the north end of the
firehouse property yielded another 7 vultures, and combining these with the
4 or 5 T.V's. flying around, in addition to the birds on the school,
brought the approximate total to 25.

As I was counting birds from the school's parking lot, a security guard
came over and asked what I was doing. After telling her I was a
"bird-watcher", I didn't have to say anymore. She knew of the birds, knew
they were Turkey Vultures, and finished with the "nugget",  saying " and
they have been around since school started" !

It is of interest to note that this location is less than 1/2 mile from the
previous T.V. roost of a few years back, that held as many as 30 birds,
before a new owner cut the trees down.

Cheers,
Bob