Still some snow on the ground and most lakes are still iced over, but
beginning to open up.  Some species from the past week:

4/6/17 Long Lake (Hamilton Co.) and Tupper Lake (Franklin Co.)

Wood Duck - pair along the Tupper Lake causeway

Amer. Black Duck - pair along the Tupper Lake causeway

Green-winged Teal - pair along the Tupper Lake causeway

Ring-necked Duck - many on Tupper Lake

Bufflehead - one male on a small piece of open water at the inlet of Little
Tupper Lake

Hooded Merganser - everywhere there is open water!

Common Merganser - everywhere there is open water!

Turkey Vulture - several over Tupper Lake

Bald Eagle - adult flying over Simon Pond in Tupper Lake

Barred Owl - heard on the baby monitor during the night - we have been
hearing them every night for the past couple weeks

Amer. Kestrel - perched in the marsh along the Tupper Lake causeway

Gray Jay - 3 (1 along Route 30, 1 at the Round Lake Trailhead, and 1 at
Sabattis Bog - all in Long Lake)

Boreal Chickadee - 2 vocalizing along Route 30 in Long Lake as I
photographed a singing Fox Sparrow!

Fox Sparrow - 2 (1 singing outside our home early this morning and another
one singing along Route 30 in Long Lake where I feed Gray Jays)

Song Sparrow - everywhere and singing

Dark-eyed Junco - numbers swelled outside our home today - also singing

I have not yet spotted the Sandhill Cranes in Tupper Lake.

4/5/17 Long Lake and Tupper Lake

Mostly the same waterfowl, but also a Common Goldeneye pair on the little
patch of open water at the Little Tupper Lake inlet

Killdeer - pair mating along the drive into the Tupper Lake Waterfront Park!

Turkey Vulture - 1 Tupper Lake, 2 in Long Lake

Bald Eagle - 4 different birds in Tupper Lake (2 adults)

Barred Owl

Gray Jay - 6 (groups of 1, 2, and 3 along Sabattis Circle Road)

Golden-crowned Kinglet - many!

Pine Siskin - vocalizing outside our house

Amer. Tree Sparrow - 1 at a Long Lake feeder

Song Sparrow - many along all the roads and lots of singing in Tupper Lake

Dark-eyed Junco - many singing

4/4/17 American Robins began singing outside our home!

4/3/17  Long Lake

Lots of waterfowl on Long Lake including Ring-necked Ducks

Black-backed Woodpecker - male foraging along Sabattis Circle Road near the
Round Lake Trailhead

Gray Jay - 12! (3 along Route 30, 3 near the inlet of Little Tupper Lake, 2
at the Round Lake Trailhead, and 4 at Sabattis Bog)

Golden-crowned Kinglet - many and some were singing (most left this year for
the winter and they appear to be back!)

4/1/17 Long Lake

Wild Turkey -Wild Turkeys were mating outside our home!

Boreal Chickadee - 1 along Route 30 in Long Lake

River Otters - 4!  (1 on Long Lake, 1 on Little Tupper Lake, and 2 on the
inlet of Round Lake)  I posted a video to my Facebook page below.

3/30/17 Long Lake, Tupper Lake, and Newcomb (Essex Co.)

Turkey Vulture - 2 in Tupper Lake

Cooper's Hawk - along the Round Lake Trail in Long Lake

Northern Shrike - along Route 30 at a marshy location about 3 miles south of
the Tupper Lake boat launch (we saw it on 3/26/17 too)

Gray Jay - 5 at 3 locations in Long Lake

Boreal Chickadee - along Route 28N in Newcomb

Eastern Bluebird - Newcomb

Pine Siskin - at a feeder in Newcomb

Evening Grosbeak - flock at a feeder in Newcomb

Song Sparrow - 2 in Newcomb

Dark-eyed Junco - singing

3 River Otters on Long Lake!

3/29/17 - Common Goldeneye pair on Long Lake; I went owling during the night
- the only owl found was a dead Barred Owl on Route 30 in Long Lake.  I also
observed a Bobcat.

3/27/17 - Snow Bunting flock in Long Lake; Amer. Tree Sparrows began moving
through

3/26/17 - Female Black-backed Woodpecker at Sabattis Bog; Northern Shrike
along Route 30 in Tupper Lake (same location as above)

Joan Collins

President, NYS Ornithological Association

Editor, New York Birders

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell

(518) 624-5528 home