It was a relatively quiet morning at Hempstead Lake State Park this morning,
with a meager ten species of warblers. Highlights were our FOY Magnolia Warbler
and a singing Worm-eating Warbler on the horse trail. Two Solitary Sandpipers
were along the north end of the creek. Two Yellow-billed Cuckoos were reported
by others.

Bird-wise, a similar scenario played out at West End, Jones Beach State Park,
where the mosquitoes outnumbered the birds. We were treated, however to a male
Hooded Warbler showing briefly on the north side of the median west of the
entrance to the Coast Guard Station. On our way home we encountered a male
Summer Tanager feeding on the south shoulder of the parkway east of the
entrance to Parking Field 6. This represents the fourth Summer Tanager (all
males) we have observed this Spring on the barrier beach (2 Fire, 2 Jones) -
the most we have seen in any Spring on the barrier beach.

Cheers,

Ken & Sue Feustel