The experience at Shawangunk Grasslands today was more like a stroll through
zoo exhibits than the usual gritty scramble for target strays.  Both birds
spent most of the morning perched up singing, mainly oblivious to the
(thankfully well-behaved) minions there to watch them. And both stayed
within photo range most of the time, close to the mown paths. They could
have put up interpretative labels by the trailside.

Too easy?  No, never too easy.

>From the shots below (as many others posted be various observers), it is
clear that the Henslow's puts a great deal of physical energy into its song.
Yet all that comes out is a less-than-operatic "tsi-di-lick." What was good
about this sighting, in my opinion, was its proximity, in which context the
song actually was quite audible (versus the usual distant-wispy). As I
approached I said to my wife, "Well, either that's it or somebody's playing
a tape." One of the birders already present grinned and said, "A lot of
people said the same thing - sounds pretty loud from here!"

50 years of birding, always something new to learn.

Good luck if you go (and stay to see meadowlarks, Bobolinks, Grasshopper
Sparrows, Purple Martins, etc., etc.). What a treasure of a habitat!

Rick Cech

https://rbc-pix.smugmug.com/organize/Nature/Shawangunk-Wonderland

P.S. The pale-colored sulphurs flying around in the fields are mainly
spring-form Orange Sulphurs, which are mostly pale yellow, not Clouded
Sulphurs. Didn't see any skippers yet.