There was a single Purple Martin perched on a bar of the newly installed martin
complex at Croton Point Park this morning (7:05-7:15 a.m.). One of the houses
is occupied by tree swallows but when buzzed by a swallow the martin did not
seem concerned; indeed it took a pass at the swallow occupied house and
re-perched to continue pruning. To my knowledge there are no breeding martin
colonies in Westchester County. The bird appears to be juvenile not adult
female. I am not sure how it can find and alert adults to this new
construction, not to mention the river views, plenty of food, and winter
cleaning service. But of course young folks are trumped by older folks all the
time even when the adults would be well served to listen to the youth.

Thanks to Charlie Roberto, Anne Swaim and John Phillips for their efforts in
establishing a Westchester martin colony.

L. Trachtenberg
Ossining

Sent from my iPhone