Following up on yesterday's post by Sue Feustel , I arrived at Doctor's
Path ~ 1230. After making my first pass of the "Golden Trapezium" (D's P,
Sound Ave. Route 105 and Northville Tpke, I was only able to come up with 2
Black-bellied Plovers. Deciding to try D's P again, I came upon a young
birding couple, Robin Elman & Paul Stiel, from Queens, who earlier had
found a large plover way out in the field, but had not been able to I.D.
with just their binoculars. Driving back to where they had seen it, with
the aid of a scope, we found a single Golden Plover, 3 Black-bellies, and a
Semipalmated Plover. This spot was just a hair n/o of where Sue had her
birds -  with today's bird feeding in the bare earth beyond the first strip
of sod still remaining. Robin & Paul were delighted to get definitive
photos of their 1st Golden !

We then headed w/on Sound Ave, checking out all the sod fields up to
Osborne Ave,  without success. Next, we headed s/on Edwards Ave, where we
came upon a fair sized rain puddle, on a partially dug sod field on the
w/s, a short distance n/o Riley Ave. We tallied 7 species of shorebirds
here: 1 Semipalmated Plover; many Killdeer; 1 Lesser Yellowlegs; 3 Pectoral
Sandpipers; 1 Baird's Sandpiper; 3 Semipalmated Sandpipers and 1 Least
Sandpiper. After this fruitful stop, we came up short on the Edwards Ave
sod fields s/o Route 25, as well as all those located along Route 25 west
to Route 25 A. Traveling w/on Route 25A, our good fortune was stoked again
as we turned onto Hulse Landing Rd., Wading River. The sod field on the w/s
had been dug out already, but still held 1 Semipalmated Sandpiper, a few
Killdeer, and 2 Golden Plovers. Our last Sod Farm stop, on the s/s/o Sound
Ave, e/o H/L/Rd. was void of any birdlife.

We finished the day at the Calverton Grasslands, where the only birds seen
were 2 Red-tailed Hawks. Although this part of the afternoon is not usually
conducive to finding birds, it seems that many of this area's breeding
birds have moved on.

It was a pleasure birding with Robin & Paul !

Cheers,
Bob