All,

Once again, the gravel bars on the Susquehanna River are yielding some

great shorebirds from this park in Johnson City Broome County!

Late this afternoon, I found a juvenile AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVER

on the gravel bars easily seen from the yellow sign in William Hill Park

not far from the dike near the Johnson City Home Depot. The bird was pretty

much in the same location for over 2 hour feeding on earthworms.

There were also 10 GREAT EGRETS which I believe may be a high

count for Broome County. Additionally, the BAIRD'S SANDPIPER

continues along with several LESSER YELLOWLEGS, a couple

LEAST SANDPIPERS, 2 SPOTTED SANDPIPERS and many many

KILLDEER. Our stilt sandpiper that was here seems to have moved on.

Another treat was a flock of COMMON NIGHTHAWKS that were

descending down to the river at times chasing mayflys. I estimated

about 30. I was joined by George Chiu and Victor Lamoureux  and

we really enjoyed the nighthawks, plover and other great birds here.

This place really has been excellent this fall.

ebird list can be found here with poor photos of the american golden-plover.

Dave