All,

We had 22 people walk the dike between Knox-Marcellus / Puddler's Marshes
Montezuma on Saturday September 9th. Some folks started on Towpath Road and
met
up with us on the dike as most walked down from East Road. We also had a
nice group of young birders from the SUNY ESF bird club join us.

This was a day of great bird diversity as Jay McGowan recorded an amazing
109 species between Towpath Road and the dike.
See:  http://bit.ly/2eYqdg9   This is a testament to the great bird
diversity we enjoy in the Cayuga Basin!

Highlights from our walk included a flyover AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVER that we
first identified by call. The bird circled around a few times and we got
great looks at the bird which was a molting adult. We also had BAIRD'S
SANDPIPER initially at the beginning of the walk. This bird was in very
poor lighting at first and we struggled a bit on the ID. On the way back at
the very end of the path on the edge of the water in the channel, we found
the bird again in much better lighting and there were actually two of them!
We also had a YELLOW-BELLIED FLYCATCHER closer to Towpath Rd from the dike.
We also saw many KILLDEER, SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS, both species of
YELLOWLEGS, LEAST and SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPERS. A few of us saw a dowitcher
briefly and a few had a STILT SANDPIPER at the beginning.  We also got
great looks at an immature BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERON and 3 NORTHERN HARRIER
soaring close and low. There were also 11 SANDHILL CRANES and many species
of waterfowl.

My list can be found here which does not include Towpath Road....
http://bit.ly/2vW1LTJ

Thanks to all who came along and thanks to the fine folks at Montezuma for
supporting these annual shorebird walks.

Dave Nicosia