My wife and I snuck in one more beach day today at Cupsogue, sitting ocean-side
from 11AM-2PM. I periodically scanned the ocean, binoculars only, during that
time.
The only highlight was a single Caspian Tern heading west. As I followed it, it
dropped something from its mouth and quickly stooped to recover it mid-air.
Small (10-50 birds) skeins of scoters headed east to west during this time,
only one skein close enough to identify as Black. A couple of Red-throated
Loons were heading east. A single Gannet.
Later, a single Royal Tern heading west. A big flock of Sanderling, about 250,
and later, a flock of about 150 Dunlin went by. Small numbers (5-10) of
Black-bellied Plovers were heading east.
Gulls were few and far between.
An interesting passerine came in off the ocean but I just couldn’t get on it;
it seemed pipit-like.
Very rough surf but a gorgeous beach day!!!!

Glenn

Glenn Quinn
Hauppauge, NY