Okay, Andrew. I did it – put up some pictures on my web site – on the recent
work page. The top two pictures are the bird in question. Not too much
narrative there, as that has been done in the posts from Angus and I. Below
that I’ve shown a series of Dunlin pictures for comparison. Most are juveniles
in various states of molt. In the past, I may have sounded silly to most folks
when expressing excitement over early arriving Dunlins at Jamaica Bay – but the
result is I can do something like this. I also included a couple of Curlew
Sandpipers, although only in obvious alternate plumage. That’s all I have and I
really would have loved to have added a different plumage to my collection. But
that was not to be. Still, the alternate plumage images do convey structure.

On the way to the recent work page, you’ll find a picture of today’s
Yellow-headed Blackbird. I’m glad I had that bird to chase. I was going to go
for the Bickering at Sands Point. Well, it sounds like it could be a bird.
Sanderling, Brambling, Bickering…

Steve Walter

http://stevewalternature.com/