The Lark Bunting found by Brent Bomkamp this morning at the Robert Moses SP
volleyball courts was still present when Patricia Lindsay and I visited from
07:45 to 08:45.

When we arrived, the bird had moved out of sight. According to Brent, it had
been associating loosely with several Song Sparrows, feeding in the sparsely
vegetated sandy area near the barbecue grills and retreating periodically to
the first row of shrubs to the west. Shortly before we arrived, it had flown
southward over the dune at the southwest corner of the open area.

In my experience, when seed-eating birds retreat to the swales beyond this
dune, they are difficult to pursue without disturbing them (and without
exposing the observer to swarms of Amblyomma larvae, aka Long Island chiggers).
On the other hand, such birds frequently return eventually to what they were
originally doing. Because we had only a short time to look, we gambled on
scanning from the top of the small dune. We were fortunate to find the bird,
still associating with several Song Sparrows, and we concluded that the bird
was comfortable in the area and likely to return to its original routine.

Congratulations, Brent, on a great find!

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore