Definitely a great bird for Long Island.  A number of birders, including
Barbara Connolly, Corey Finger, Dave Klauber, Mary Normandia, Bobby Rossetti,
and myself, saw a Pileated Woodpecker in Matinecock, Nassau County on
12/31/2011.  My report to the New York State Avian Records Committee (NYSARC)
included the following:

"This report is being submitted because of the status of Pileated Woodpecker as
a rare visitant in the coastal lowlands of New York State (Bull’s Birds of New
York State, 1998, E. Levine, ed.).  Pileated Woodpecker is common and
increasing across most of New York State, due primarily to reforestation.
However it remains extremely rare in the coastal plain and even more so on Long
Island, where the last documented sightings may be during the early 1980s.  The
species was not recorded in the coastal plain in the 2000-2005 Breeding Bird
Atlas (Second Atlas of Breeding Birds in New York State, 2008, K. McGowan and
K. Corwin, eds.).  However, it was recorded in the First Atlas (1980-1985) as a
probable breeder based on a female bird present in Mill Neck, Nassau County in
the spring and summer of 1983.  Another female was present in Forest Park,
Queens County and Garvies Point, Nassau County from December 1981 to spring
1982.  Interestingly, Mill Neck and Garvies Point are within 2.5 and 3.33
miles, respectively, of [Matinecock].  Prior to the early 1980s, the species
had not been recorded on Long Island since 1947.  For further details on the
above, see the discussion in Bull’s (1998) and the Second Atlas.”

Since then, I am aware of at least two other sightings on Long Island, in
addition to the current report: Oakland Lake, Queens and Valley Stream State
Park, Nassau, both in early May 2014.  There have been several reports from
Inwood Hill in upper Manhattan and they have been present in small numbers on
Staten Island for the past five years or so.

Seth Ausubel