From: bounce-122019816-3493...@list.cornell.edu
<bounce-122019816-3493...@list.cornell.edu> on behalf of Kevin J. McGowan
<k...@cornell.edu>
Sent: Sunday, November 5, 2017 5:54 PM
To: CAYUGABIRDS-L
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] ibis on Armitage rd, Wayne Co

This afternoon, Laura Stenzler and Ton Schat directed attention to a dark ibis
they found north of Armitage Rd, west of rt 38 north of Monezuma. I was birding
nearby, and headed right over. I found the bird, but unfortunately the rain
started in earnest right then, and the lighting was poor. Also the bird was
very actively foraging in the far north end of the east-most section of flooded
farm fields and did not give good looks.

White-faced and Glossy ibis are about equally likely to occur here. The bird
looked like a non-breeding-plumaged adult, with no white on the face to help
with ID (broad white in White-faced, thin white stripes in Glossy). It was way
too far away, and the light was way too dim for me to be able to see if there
was any red in the face or not. I could not tell which species it was.

Unless someone else gets better looks or better photos, I have to put it down
as "Plegadis sp." or "Glossy/White-faced Ibis."

Kevin

Kevin J. McGowan, Ph.D.
Project Manager
Distance Learning in Bird Biology