Mark French and I hit the Black Dirt Region yesterday, as it's one of our
favorite places to bird and take in the landscape. From one of the vantage
points along the Pulaski Highway, we observed 2 GOLDEN EAGLES, see eBird
notes pasted below. At a different vantage point, we observed a juvenile
BALD EAGLE carrying a Gray Squirrel! Surprisingly for the date, no
Rough-legged Hawks or Short-eared Owls were observed...the former is
shocking considering the fact that Cape May had four already...I was
expecting one or two and there are usually a few Short-eareds present up
there by late October with decent numbers by mid-November. Harrier numbers
were low throughout the area, with five being the peak count at any one
location.

"I initially spotted a large, dark eagle soaring with a group of TUVU.
After putting the scope on it, I was able to see the white tail base and
golden hackle but no white was apparent in the underwing. The bird peeled
off to the right joining another Golden, with similar sub-adult plumage
characteristics. The Wallkill River corridor is apparently an important
migratory route for the species, as this is the fourth time I've observed
migrants (once in December and twice in late February)."

Mike Britt
Bayonne, NJ