I have posted four Corn Crake photos to my flickr site. Sue and I were very
pleased that so many birders got to see this bird. The rarity of this species
is such that, according to Bull’s Birds of New York State (1998), the last
record was a bird that was shot in a rye field in Orient in 1963. This was the
first NYS record in seventy-five years. National Geographic’s “Complete Birds
of North America” stated that it has been only recorded five times in North
America, most recently in 2002. These are dated references, and we are aware of
a recent record from Maine, originally identified as a Yellow Rail - there are
likely others.

Good Birding!

Ken & Sue Feustel
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kfeustel/