A Western Tanager continued at Crocheron Park this morning.

I had not until today looked at any photos of the bird(s) present recently at
the Alley Pond Environmental Center/Restoration Area (ca. 1.5 miles away), but
Corey Finger's photos from 25 Nov clearly show a bird with uniformly juvenal
greater coverts on its right wing:

https://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40716432

The bird we saw this morning at Crocheron Park clearly showed a mix of juvenal
(small, worn, grayish-brown, restricted whitish tips) and formative (large,
fresh, black, extensive whitish tips) greater coverts on this wing:

https://flic.kr/p/22k7Kfv

The number of feathers replaced, as well as the slightly eccentric manner in
which the replacement skipped one juv feather) argue against a single bird
molting over a two week period.

Other photos from the Alley Pond Environmental Center/Restoration Area show a
Western Tanager that appears brighter than the one in Corey's photos (perhaps
more similar to the Crocheron bird), but the photos I found do not show the
wing feathers in sufficient detail for comparison with Corey's bird, or with
the Crocheron bird.

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore