Hi All,

On December 17, Rockland County conducted its 71st Annual Christmas Bird
Count. Forty-two field counters (plus one fledgling counter, less than 2
years old) tallied 20,207 birds representing 87 species.  The number of
species is among our highest counts, ranking in the 90th percentile since
1947 and 83rd percentile since 1978 (when the count circle was shifted
slightly to include Piermont marsh). The number of individual birds,
however, ranks as average to below average-58th percentile since 1947 and
28th percentile since 1978. Feeder counters and their results are, as of
yet, not included in these results.

Highlights include: Snow Bunting, Brown Thrasher, Barred Owl, American
Pipit, Peregrine Falcon, Merlin, Great Cormorant, Horned Lark, Redhead, Wild
Turkey, Black Vulture, and Snow Goose (fly overs).

New High Counts were established for: Snow Goose, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker,
Pileated Woodpecker, and Common Raven.

Notable Misses include: American Kestrel, Red-breasted Nuthatch, and Purple
Finch.

The top five most abundant species were European Starling (4232), Canada
Goose (4130), Common Merganser (1208), Common Grackle (1203), and
Ring-billed Gull (1184). Together, these species make up 59% of the total
count number.

Thanks to all that participated in our count! Complete results will be
posted on the Rockland Audubon Society
<http://www.rocklandaudubon.org/ras_cbc.htm>  website as soon as available.

Alan Wells

Rockland CBC Compiler