Hi all,
Mike Rath and I discovered a number of Cackling Geese yesterday during the
Smithtown CBC.  With birds moving around during the day we figured there to
be at least 4 individuals, three of which were well photographed.

The most interesting one displayed a nice white neck collar and with a
really small bill which could possibly be a minima subspecies.  This
individual was first detected on Lake Ronkonkoma in the morning and again
later in the day feeding at Sachem High School North fields (assuming it is
the same individual).

Two other individuals were well documented at Great Hollow Middle School in
Nesconset.  One being a very "frosty" individual.

https://flic.kr/p/EPRM2N
https://flic.kr/p/21SQRyy

I apologize for the late posting, hopefully the birds are still around.  I
would be interested in subspecies discussion.

-Dave