Greetings All,
  The seventh annualUlster/Dutchess (NYUD) Christmas Bird Count was conducted
on Wednesday,December 27th, 2017.  We’vebeen fortunate, for continuity sake, to
hold this count within a three daywindow from 12/26-12/28. 41 birders in 14
field parties along with two feederwatchers observed a new high total of
95species (+2 cw species) for the NYUD CBC. The 20,792 individual birds
countedwere nearly 3000 more than our average for the previous six counts
andrepresented our second highest total (23,039 in 2011). Of the species that
haveappeared three or more years on this count seventeen species were recorded
at anew high number and six species at a new low total.  To illustrate how
complete a team effort thisyear’s count was an outstanding seven species were
added to our composite NYUDlist from seven different sectors!  Thisraised our
composite total after seven counts to 120 species. Exceptional finds included a
soaring Golden Eagle inSector E, a vocalizing Long-eared Owl in Sector G, an
unexpected Red-headedWoodpecker in Sector J, two cooperative Lapland Longspurs
in Sector D, and afemale White-winged Scoter in Sector F. Two species, a House
Wren in Sector B and an Iceland Gull in Sector Imoved from “CW” historical
status to join us on count day.

  Temperatures rangedfrom 2 degrees at 6:00 a.m. (having dropped from 8 degrees
at the start of ournocturnal effort at 4:00 a.m.) to a balmy 26 degrees
mid-day.  Luckily diurnal birders basked in asun-filled day with calm winds.
Standingbodies of water were iced over but the Hudson and it’s tributaries
within the circleremained open and definitely helped field parties locate a
very respectable 16species of waterfowl.  Three inches of a powderysnow cover
was rare for the NYUD and surely helped to consolidate sparrowsroadside and
maybe even aid in our record number of Snow Buntings.

   A big “thank you”as always to Steve Chorvas for inputting and arranging all
the data for thiscount and to all those who cooked, baked, and cleaned up to
lessen the load formy now very pregnant wife.  Also aspecial thanks to Dave
Hayes for providing a beautiful facelift to our sectormaps.  Finally, to all
those in the field(as listed below) congratulations and thank you on our most
productive and successfulcount yet.  Included with participantsare notable bird
species from each sector.

Respectfully submitted,
Mark DeDea
co-compiler NYUD CBC

  SAVE THE DATE:  SATURDAY, DECEMBER 29TH 2018 ULSTER/DUTCHESS (NYUD) CHRISTMAS
BIRD COUNT

Sector A (WestSaugerties) 41 species  2,048 individuals
Corey Finger, Vanessa Lane, George Moxham, and Mary Moxham
Rusty Blackbird, Winter Wren, Field Sparrow, and HermitThrush

Sector B(Saugerties) B1N 48 species  1,674individuals  B2S  48 species 925
individuals
B1N Alan Beebe, Doreen Beebe (fw), and Steve Chorvas  B2S Gilbert Thomson and
Tyrell Thomson
Mute Swan, Cackling Goose, Northern Pintail, Snow Bunting,House Wren, Gray
Catbird, 10 Yellow-rumped Warblers, and Great Black-backedGull

Sector C(Cheviot)  44 species  2175 individuals
Greg Esch and George Steele
Black Vulture, Yellow-rumped Warbler, and 336 American Robin

Sector D (KerleysCorners)  53 species  3224 individuals
Susan Fox Rogers and Peter Schoenberger
Lapland Longspur, Purple Finch, White-crowned Sparrow,Chipping Sparrow, Field
Sparrow, Horned Lark, and Snow Bunting

Sector E(Woodstock) E1 26 species 388 individuals E2 38 species 614 individuals
E1 Allan Bowdery and Dan Porter  E2 Dixon Onderdonk, Loren Quinby, and
DanSpencer
Peregrine Falcon and Golden Eagle

Sector F (LakeKatrine)  44 species  1708 individuals
Lynn Bowdery, Lin Fagan, and Jane Simmons
White-winged Scoter, Northern Pintail, Snow Goose, and Horned Lark

Sector G(Annandale-on-Hudson) G1 58 species 1895 individuals G2  16 species
262 individuals
G1 Jim Clinton, Jess Prockup, Jim Prockup, and MathewRymkiewicz  G2 Doug Bean,
CarolFredericks, and Ken Fredericks
Long-eared Owl, Green-winged Teal, Ring-necked Duck, BlackVulture, Field
Sparrow, and Rusty Blackbird

Sector H (Red Hook)H1N 38 species  1022 individuals  H2S  34species  606
individuals
H1N Adrienne Popko and Chet Vincent  H2S Barbara Butler, Jim Closs, Ginny
Collins,Roberta Dopson, and Dominic Sherony
Chipping Sparrow, Rough-legged Hawk, and Ring-neckedPheasant

Sector I(Kingston)  61 species  2952 individuals
Charlotte Adamis, Mark DeDea, Annie Mardiney, and DonnaSeymour
Snowy Owl, Iceland Gull, Killdeer, Eastern Towhee, Red-breastedMerganser, and
Great Blue Heron

Sector J(Rhinebeck) 52 species  1299 individuals
Dave Hayes, Rodney Johnson, Deb Kral, and Wendy Tocci
Red-headed Woodpecker, Lincoln’s Sparrow, Canvasback, FishCrow, Greater Scaup,
and Peregrine Falcon