As far as I know, it was not seen today at Alley Pond. I know it was looked
for this morning, but there were much fewer geese than yesterday at a
comparable time of the morning. Based on the previous reports, it would seem
that the geese were roosting there, making the early morning the best time.
My plan for today was to watch them coming in to roost in the late
afternoon. Well, the 40 or so geese that were there when I arrived at 3:30
left shortly thereafter. As of 4:45, only one lone Canada had come in. I
suppose it's possible that they could come in after dark. It's not the way I
think they do it, but who knows? I'm pretty sure I've heard geese flying
over my house at night. There was one flock that flew by Alley Pond around
4:20, coming from the northwest, but they kept going toward the east. At
least that reminded me of a couple of other spots to look, if you're moved
to do so.

Oakland Lake (Cloverdale Blvd., just south of Northern Blvd.), which is
currently mostly frozen. Geese sometimes feed on the field across the street
from the lake or on the grass along the entrance ramp to the Cross Island
Parkway, but that's more likely when there's an open lake to go back to.

The ball fields at Cardozo High School and Queensboro Community College (on
56th Avenue, west of Cloverdale).

Douglaston Golf Course.

And when not snow covered, geese will feed right around Alley Pond. We'll
see how much the rain melts away tomorrow.

Steve Walter

Bayside, NY