In addition to the adult male, a subadult male and a female were also seen
today in the same area, along with Harlequin Ducks, a Common Goldeneye, and
several thousand Greater Scaup.

I spent a decent amount of time trying to relocate the hundreds to
thousands of Lesser Scaup that have been reported by multiple observers at
this location lately. We all know that Greater is the saltwater species,
and there are rarely any other Aythya species in the area, but yes there
was the recent little Ice Age and some Lessers did make it to the coast.
Today I was only able to locate a single pair that looked right for Lesser
Scaup. Now there were many scaup that were in bad lighting or too far to
observe, but I implore anyone submitting Lesser to eBird to provide photos
or give a very thorough description. There are over 50 recent checklists
from the Jones Inlet area that include Lesser Scaup but until today none
had any photos nor any discussion of the difficult identification.

My point is that this was a remarkable waterfowl movement event and it
needs to be documented accurately. Also the eBird review system can only
generate one "Question about your Lesser Scuap" email at a time and
reviewer are unpaid volunteers, so please think of them too!

Today's checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S42103707

Happy birdwatching,
Brendan