Neat history - a little like the LE owls at Pelham Bay Park years ago, when there was an open dump.
Trudy Battaly

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Paxton
Sent: Feb 2, 2018 8:41 AM
To: Thomas Fiore
Cc: NYSBIRDS
Subject: Re: [nysbirds-l] Canvasbacks, Manhattan, NYC 2/1

Before the Harlem Piers park was constructed, when there was a live sewer outlet in the Hudson River at the west end of 125th street (very visible), Canvasbacks collected there every winter. I don't unfortunately have any numbers in my old notes, but there could often be several dozen. They disappeared when the sewer treatment plant came on line.
  Bob Paxton