Hi all,
This afternoon I found a female BARROW'S GOLDENEYE in a flock of Common
Goldeneye in the channel at the mouth of Sodus Bay in Wayne County. It was
hanging out mostly near the base of the east breakwall. The short, all
yellowish-orange bill was conspicuous. We did not find the previously
reported immature male King Eider, but it was seen later in the afternoon
in the same area. A few photos of the goldeneye are here:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S42469209

Earlier in the day we birded up the Oswego River from Baldwinsville to the
Oswego Harbor. White-winged gulls were plentiful, with multiple Iceland and
Glaucous at most of the locks. We did not find the continuing (or not)
Slaty-backed, but a probable third-cycle Herring x Great Black-backed Gull
was a highlight:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S42455062
Meanwhile back in Ithaca this evening, our local Herring x Great
Black-backed was on the ice at the south end of the lake, along with a
sampler of other gull species:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S42469376
Better photos of this bird from a few days ago can be seen here:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S42342267

--
Jay McGowan
Macaulay Library