I'm still seing one or two Peregrines on top of the taller of the two
smokestacks at Industry City (2nd Ave. and  32nd St.) most mornings. This has
been a regular sight since mid-December. Assume they roost nearby -- as dawn
gets earlier so do they -- hoping they scape by... nearby, too.

A male American Kestrel has perched and called from a tree across the street
from my apartment for three of the last four days. In the rain Sunday, the wet
bird was quite the sight. This morning, an Accipiter landed in the same tree
and buzzed the Kestrel repeatedly before succeeding in chasing the falcon off.
Later, both the hawk and the falcon returned to the tree again, with more
to-do, and then later again, separately. While the hawk was grooming, this male
Kestrel or another was on the large antenna at 40th St and 5th Avenue with a
female.

I've posted some pictures of this morning's encounter on ebirds, where I hedged
my bets by splitting the Accipiter difference.

I think female Sharp-shinned as opposed to male Cooper's, but I'd certainly
welcome input on this ID, off-list if you prefer.
https://www.ebird.org/profile/MjUyOTcw/world

There will be more photos on my natural history blog eventually.

Matthew Wills

https://matthewwills.com

I'm still seing one or two Peregrines on top of the taller
of the two smokestacks at Industry City (2nd Ave. and  32nd St.) most mornings.
This has been going
on since mid-December. Assume we they roost nearby, hoping they scape by
nearby, too.

A male American Kestrels has perched and called from a tree
across the street for three of the last four days. In the rain Sunday, the bird
was soaked. This morning, an Accipiter landed in the same tree and buzzed the
Kestrel repeatedly before succeeding in making the falcon fly. Later, both the
hawk
and the falcon returned to the tree at different times.  I've posted some
pictures on ebird, where I
hedged my bets by calling on what kind of Accipiter it is. I think female
Sharp-shinned as opposed to male Cooper's, but I'd certainly welcome input on
this ID . https://www.ebird.org/profile/MjUyOTcw/world