Some folks may recall the “one day wonder” duo that appeared on Mill Pond in
Sayville back in late November 2017. These birds were apparently only made
public by a Facebook post and thankfully Angus Wilson forwarded one of the
photos to me. I carefully reviewed images of the Sayville and Roslyn birds and
they’re a nice match. One of the two individuals shows a distinctive patch of
pale feathering jutting in directly in front of its right eye.

Reiterates the importance of photo documentation as well as looking for these
subtle, yet distinctive characteristics among individuals.

Best,
Derek Rogers
Sayville