Steve,

Just an FYI, I have a 4-egg killdeer nest as well at a site on the North Shore
of Long Island.

Joe

From: bounce-122463300-10871...@list.cornell.edu
[mailto:bounce-122463300-10871...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of Steve Walter
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 7:47 PM
To: nysbird...@list.cornell.edu
Subject: RE:[nysbirds-l] New Hawk Flyway Discovery

I continue to monitor this. There haven't been days anywhere near what the
first day was like. But then I don't think there have been especially optimal
flight conditions, and that seems to be reflected at other sites along the
northeast seaboard. But there are a few hawks every day. And amazingly to me,
that includes Turkey Vultures regularly passing through northeastern Queens. I
did not see that coming. Now I wish I had started before March 31. The only
other species to have been observed on every day of coverage is Osprey. Other
surprises have been 6 Bald Eagles this week, and today a Broad-winged Hawk.
That's not one that I have pegged for much of a presence on Long Island. It's
still a few days early for appreciable numbers of Broad-wings. But now that
I've gotten one, why not hold out hope that there could be a bunch to come
through here?

The previously mentioned copulating Killdeer are now the nesting Killdeer. They
picked out a spot about 50-60 feet from the spot I picked to watch from. I keep
my distance from them and they seem to be fine with that distance. On an
occasion when both were away, I checked the nest and saw 4 eggs. I'm kind of
surprised at such an early date. Other shorebirds appearing have been Greater
Yellowlegs and Wilson's Snipe - the snipe not only as flyovers, but landing in
the wet meadow right behind the watch site.

Elsewhere in the neighborhood, it's April 11 and the Alley Pond Restoration
Pond still has the Redhead pair, the Ring-necked Duck, and the Red-necked
Grebe. They might be old news, but I'm still keeping tabs on the grebe in hopes
of getting it in breeding plumage. While it hasn't changed much, 7 remaining
Horned Grebes on Little Neck Bay have gotten colorful. The bay still has a
Red-throated Loon or two. Oddly, one individual came into Alley Creek and
hauled out on a mud flat at low tide.

Steve Walter
Bayside, NY