From: Larry Trachtenberg
Sent: Apr 16, 2018 12:05 PM
To: Anne Lazarus , Ardith Bondi
Cc: Andrew Baksh , Nyc ebirds , nysbirds-l
Subject: RE: [nysbirds-l] [ebirdsnyc] 4-15 Northern Gannett show Kings Co.

I have visited the several hundred thousand strong N. Gannet colony on Bonaventure Island at the tip of Quebec’s Gaspe Peninsula. I would assume many of the gannets migrating along the east coast do make it to that colony (but just an assumption).  https://www.apogeephoto.com/the-gannets-of-bonaventure-island/    The sight of the gannets literally feet away when you reach the colony (and murres, guillemots and some puffins thrown in) is absolutely spectacular, as is that whole trip (7+ hours’ drive north from Quebec City) with numerous stops along the way for sea and boreal birding, and, if you choose to stop for whale watching in the Saguenay River, a subsequent ferry crossing of the St. Lawrence.  (There are many places to cross and the ferry serves decent food and Pit Caribou beer, a Gaspe microbrewery.)   There is also an isolated caribou colony in the Gaspe, which unfortunately on our trip weather prohibited the hike up the mountain in Parc National de la Gaspésie (where we stayed two nights) to see the herd which is considered endangered.  A consolation was waking to dozens of evening grosbeaks gritting under the car tires in gravel driveways.  I do not think any birder would be disappointed in this trip to which you should give a week (and black flies weren’t bad in June except in one place)

L. Trachtenberg

Ossining

Lawrence B. Trachtenberg | trachtenb...@amsllp.com

Aronson Mayefsky & Sloan, LLP

12 E. 49th Street, New York, New York 10017 | T: 212.521.3511 | F: 212.838.5505