The North Shore Audubon Society will hold its monthly program on Tuesday, April
24, 2018, from 7pm to 9pm, at the Manhasset Public Library, 30 Onderdonk
Avenue, Manhasset NY 11030.  All are invited, free of charge.

Public transit users:  This location is a half-mile walk from the Manhasset
LIRR station.

     Prof. Rusty Schmidt will explain why our native plants are important, show
how to determine if a plant is native to Long Island, and describe how to place
these plants together for an aesthetic habitat for your yard.  He will also
explain what is a native cultivar and why we should use them as a second
choice.  By using native species in a habitat rich environment, we will have a
positive impact on our fauna, especially birds and insects.
       Rusty is a landscape ecologist employed by Nelson, Pope and Voorhis in
Melville, NY.  He also is an Adjunct Professor in the Horticulture Department
at Farmingdale State College, NY. He is President of the Long Island Plant
Initiative (LINPI).  He designs and constructs alternate ways of managing
stormwater runoff, creating hundreds of designs for habitat restorations,
complete restorations of ecosystems, and many rain gardens bio-infiltration
swales, bio-retention basins and stormwater ponds, ranging in size from a small
backyard to multi-acre projects. He co-authored three books “Plants for
Stormwater Design”, Vol 1 and 2, and a homeowner’s guide, “ Blue Thumb Guide to
Raingardens”.

For more information on NSAS programs and weekly walks, see
www.northshoreaudubon.org <http://www.northshoreaudubon.org/>

Nancy Tognan
Publicity volunteer, North Shore Audubon Society
nancy.tog...@gmail.com <mailto:nancy.tog...@gmail.com>