Central Park NYC
Friday, April 28, 2018
OBS: Robert DeCandido, PhD, Deborah Allen, m.ob.

Highlights: New migrants arrived in good numbers, and intermittent rain kept
many of the birds lower in the canopy than usual. We saw 14 species of Wood
Warblers including 2 male Hooded Warblers, Prairie Warbler, Black-throated Blue
Warbler (male), 3 male Northern Parulas and 2 adult male American Redstarts.
Other warblers listed below. Also: male Rose-breasted Grosbeak, male Baltimore
Oriole & male Orchard Orioles, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Blue-headed Vireo, Veery,
Gray Catbird, Chimney Swift.

Canada Goose - Turtle Pond and Lake
Mallard - Turtle Pond & Upper Lobe
Mourning Dove - flock at feeders
Chimney Swift - 2
Spotted Sandpiper - flying over Lake & landing briefly at Balcony Bridge
Herring Gull - flyovers
Black-crowned Night-Heron - Turtle Pond
Red-bellied Woodpecker - residents, including a male working on a nest at
Summit Rock
Downy Woodpecker - residents
Northern Flicker - several locations
Blue-headed Vireo - 30-40 conservatively, but probably double that
Blue Jay - residents
Tufted Titmouse - signing near Stone Arch
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - 2 (Hernshead & the Point)
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - at least 15
Veery - 2 (Strawberry Fields, west side of Lake)
Hermit Thrush - at least 10
American Robin - residents
Gray Catbird - 3
Brown Thrasher
Northern Mockingbird (M. T. Grob)
House Finch - 5 feeders
American Goldfinch - 10 (most at feeders)
Eastern Towhee - Gill Overlook, Evodia Field
Chipping Sparrow - 14 (3 Sparrow Rock, 9 Cherry Hill, Tupelo Field, Shakespeare
Garden)
Field Sparrow - Tupelo Field
Song Sparrow - 3 (2 Bow Bridge, 1 Hernshead)
Swamp Sparrow - The Point
White-throated Sparrow - numbers up from yesterday
Orchard Oriole - adult male singing at Turtle Pond
Baltimore Oriole - adult male Delacorte Theater/south end of Locust Grove
Red-winged Blackbird - singing male Turtle Pond, also at feeders
Brown-headed Cowbird - heard
Common Grackle - 10 Pinetum, several at feeders & Turtle Pond
Ovenbird - 5
Louisiana Waterthrush - west side of the Lake
Northern Waterthrush - 4
Black-and-white Warbler - at least 10
Common Yellowthroat - male Hernshead
Hooded Warbler - 2 males (Hernshead (found by Chris Cooper at Balcony Bridge),
another near Bow Bridge)
American Redstart - 2 adult males (near Bow Bridge, Summer House)
Northern Parula - 3 males (Wagner cove, Strawberry Fields, Cherry Hill)
Yellow Warbler - 12 (10 males & 2 females) favoring willows in flower
Black-throated Blue Warbler - male Mugger's Woods east of Indian Cave
Palm Warbler - "Yellow" 15-20
Pine Warbler - 2 females (west side of the Lake)
Yellow-rumped Warbler - 25-50
Prairie Warbler - between Balcony Bridge & Triplet's Bridge (David Barrett)
Northern Cardinal - residents
Rose-breasted Grosbeak - male sitting nicely north side of Swedish Cottage

--

Some of today's tweets @BirdCentralPark:
>From Bradley Kane An American Woodcock on the Great Lawn & the continuing
>Indigo Bunting near the Met Museum.
>From Tony Gazso a male Summer Tanager  between the SW Reservoir & Pinetum, & a
>Wood Thrush at Hallett.
>From Janet Wooten a Common Nighthawk at E. 77th Street & the East Drive
>flushed by a robin.
>From Wolfgang Demisch a Yellow-throated Vireo at Gill Overlook found by Claude
>Bloch

Let's hope the new birds continue in the park tomorrow for the expected influx
of birders.

Deb Allen
Follow us on twitter @BirdingBobNYC and @DAllenNYC