Wednesday, 2 May, 2018 -
Central & Riverside Parks, Manhattan, N.Y. City

‘Highlights’ were really too many too list all, but among the species that are
typically scarce or most-sought in Central Park today included:  RED-HEADED
WOODPECKER[S], both Cuckoo species, 5 Flycatcher species, (at least) 4 Vireo
species, Red-breasted Nuthatch, (at least) 4 Catharus [“brown-backed’] Thrush
species, (at least) 27 species of WARBLERS, with Cerulean, Hooded, Cape May,
Worm-eating, both Waterthrushes, & Canada amongst the diversity, Lincoln’s &
White-crowned Sparrows (amongst other more-common sparrows), SUMMER TANAGER,
BOBOLINK, Rusty Blackbird[s], and a decent selection of other migrants, with a
bit of wader (a.k.a. shorebird) movement, as well.  Some of these had already
been noted in N.Y. City, & perhaps in Central Park, in prior days, while some
were likely first-of-year sightings.

Today featured a further boost to the diversity of neotropical migrants & other
birds that have arrived with the very warm weather; this was a fairly
widespread burst of migration movement as some of the species that were just
arriving in N.Y. City made it a lot farther north & east, being reported even
up into central & n. New England as well as into more of NY state.  There was
at least 1 sighting of Cerulean Warbler today in Prospect Park (Brooklyn -
Kings Co.) and others were reported at least as far north as Massachusetts, as
just one small example of widespread migration among just one (taxonomic)
family grouping of many migrant species.

I put in some time in 2 parks in Manhattan, first & primarily in Central Park,
starting with the west & south sections, & later the north & some east
sections, & for a few mid-p.m. hours, the n. portion of Riverside Park,
adjacent with about W. 97th to W. 122 Streets & a bit of Riverside Drive; back
into Central thru dusk, as there was a lot of activity ongoing there.  For me,
quite a few species were first of the year in NY, as I had just returned for
May migration from another side of the planet - in n.e. India, where (April)
migration also was in full progress.

I’d ‘guesstimate' that in all there were at least several hundred birders, or
anyhow folks with binoculars on, in many parts of the parks, 98% of those I saw
being in Central…

Riverside Park had a number of migrants, & a more intent watch there might’ve
provided a lot more species than my finds, which were good but could not match
all of the variety I and many others were seeing in Central…  The “drip” area
in Riverside (inside that park near about W. 118 St.) had some migrants but,
for me, not quite enough to make a full afternoon’s watch there.

May 2nd, 2018 - all from Central Park, unless designated with R.P. (Riverside
Park) in Manhattan:

Common Loon (2 fly-over, pre-sunrise)
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Snowy Egret (Central north end fly-bys)
Green Heron
Black-crowned Night-Heron
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (adult at The Pond, early a.m.)
Canada Goose
Wood Duck
Gadwall
Mallard
Osprey (fly-over)
Red-tailed Hawk
American Kestrel
Peregrine Falcon (R.P., near a known nest site at Riverside church)
American Coot (1, still at the Pond)
Greater Yellowlegs (calling flyover, just after first light)
Lesser Yellowlegs (calling flyover, just after first light)
Solitary Sandpiper (multiple)
Spotted Sandpiper (multiple)
Least Sandpiper (10, reservoir & also in flight, early a.m.)
Laughing Gull (fly-bys & at least 7 minimum on reservoir, various times)
Ring-billed Gull
[American] Herring Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
['feral'] Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Black-billed Cuckoo (north woods, & early a.m. near W. 77 St.)
Yellow-billed Cuckoo (several, s. & n. ends of park)
Common Nighthawk (in flight, dusk, N. Meadow area, e. side)
Chimney Swift (multiple)
Ruby-throated Hummingbird (several, & visiting flowering trees & shrubs)
Red-headed Woodpecker (past Sheep Meadow, early a.m., & near Great Lawn much
later on)
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (few)
Downy Woodpecker
Yellow-shafted Flicker
Eastern Wood-Pewee (some calling or singing)
Least Flycatcher (one calling, seen well, n. end)
Eastern Phoebe (relatively few)
Great Crested Flycatcher (multiple)
Eastern Kingbird (multiple)
Blue-headed Vireo (multiple)
Yellow-throated Vireo (several)
Warbling Vireo (multiple)
Red-eyed Vireo (relatively few)
Blue Jay
American Crow
Tree Swallow (mainly early a.m.)
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Barn Swallow (later in day over Meer & Reservoir)
Black-capped Chickadee (2)
Tufted Titmouse
Red-breasted Nuthatch (1, n. end; south of Meer)
White-breasted Nuthatch
Brown Creeper (n. woods)
Carolina Wren
House Wren
Golden-crowned Kinglet (Loch, late p.m.)
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Veery (multiple)
Swainson's Thrush (multiple)
Hermit Thrush (few)
Wood Thrush (multiple)
American Robin
Gray Catbird (multiple)
Northern Mockingbird
Brown Thrasher (few)
European Starling
Cedar Waxwing
-
Blue-winged Warbler (multiple)
Brewster's Warbler ('backcross hybrid’ offspring: Blue-winged / Golden-winged
Warblers; north woods/Meer overlook path)
Tennessee Warbler (several heard, just 1 seen)
Nashville Warbler (multiple)
Northern Parula (multiple)
Yellow Warbler (multiple)
Chestnut-sided Warbler (multiple)
Magnolia Warbler (multiple)
Cape May Warbler (several males)
Black-throated Blue Warbler (multiple)
Yellow-rumped [Myrtle form] Warbler (fairly common)
Black-throated Green Warbler (multiple)
Blackburnian Warbler (multiple)
Pine Warbler (several in n. end)
Prairie Warbler (at least several)
Palm Warbler (more than a few)
Blackpoll Warbler (2, Great Hill & north woods; both seen singing)
Cerulean Warbler (2 males, and a probable female also glimpsed; one male was
seen into the end of the day, w. side of The Lake)
Black-and-white Warbler (multiple)
American Redstart (multiple)
Worm-eating Warbler (at least several, 2+ in north woods & reports from Ramble)
Ovenbird (multiple)
Northern Waterthrush (multiple)
Louisiana Waterthrush (several)
Common Yellowthroat (multiple)
Hooded Warbler (at least 3, north woods, & reports from Ramble)
Wilson's Warbler (2 in n. end, Loch & near the Blockhouse)
Canada Warbler (Blockhouse, the only one I saw / heard all day)
-
Summer Tanager (female, near Conservatory Garden, n. gate area)
Scarlet Tanager (multiple, males & females)
Eastern Towhee (2)
Chipping Sparrow (multiple)
Savannah Sparrow (few)
Song Sparrow
Lincoln's Sparrow (1, Falconer’s Hill, early a.m.)
Swamp Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow (at least several, north end, & 1 at lawn s. of
Strawberry Fields, a.m.)
Dark-eyed Junco (north end, just 1 seen)
Northern Cardinal
Rose-breasted Grosbeak (multiple)
Indigo Bunting (multiple)
Bobolink (at least 5 came thru the n. end near W. 104th St. early in morning -
not re-found later, which is typical for Central in spring)
Red-winged Blackbird
Rusty Blackbird (at least 2, n. end)
Common Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird
Orchard Oriole (multiple)
Baltimore Oriole (multiple)
Purple Finch(1 female-type, n. end)
House Finch
American Goldfinch (multiple)
House Sparrow

Thanks to those who practise ethical birding & who give all the migrants a
chance to feed, rest, & recoup some energy to fly on to where they will be
courting, nesting, & raising young.

good May birding,

Tom Fiore
manhattan