Friday & Saturday, 11-12 May, 2018 -

The now-singing softly KIRTLAND’S WARBLER, seen again in the same area near the
Central Park (Manhattan, New York City) West Drive - park roadway - and just
north of a park entrance at West 90th St. & Central Park West, is an apparent
first-spring male, by the combination of subdued plumage features with it’s now
reported & observed singing a bit, as it was not (repoirted to) on Friday, & my
prior post (with far more reporting) thus amended as to the likely sex of this
rarity.  Thanks to ornithologist Kevin Bennett for alerting us on-scene early
Saturday, May 12th.

PLEASE DO NOT play any recordings of this bird, or others, in the vicinity of
this warbler, as many (probably many hundreds) will be wanting to have a chance
to observe, visually and aurally this rare species with no disturbance to the
bird itself and also no unneeded disturbance to the aural landscape within
hearing (i.e. within some hundreds of feet) of this & adjacent birds.  Let’s
all self-police in this & other obvious respects, in order that order &
commonsense is maintained for & by a gathering of birders & others with
interest that is sure to grow to very large size.

There will be patrols by the N.Y. Police Dept. & Parks Dept. as well as other
officials (in & out of uniforms) to assist in any situations, but we can make
it easier by not allowing any “situations” to occur which would be detrimental
to the birds, to their observers, and to the general public and our NYC
first-responders and others who will be out & about where this, and many other
birds are going to be observed this weekend.

Thanks & good luck,

Tom Fiore
manhattan